Friday, June 12, 2009

Top 10 to Watch For - #6 Mickey Factz



The next 6 artists were, for the most part, incredibly difficult for me to rank. Depending on my mood most of them could shift to any position but I think that the order I am posting is how I feel most of the time. #6 is Mickey Factz hailing from the Bronx, New York.


He started writing raps at a very young age and tries to stay innovative as well as keeping tradition of where Hip Hop came from. The only way I can think to describe his music is by saying that Mickey Factz is roughly what you get if you combined Child Rebel Soldier together into one person. For those that don’t know, CRS is a super group made of Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco and Pharell Williams who have only put out one track but have much promise. Listening to a Mickey Factz mixtape is like listening to a compilation of those 3 guys, he brings many musical aspects from Kanye, such as soul samples. His lyrics are always on point and he brings a consciousness that definitely evokes thoughts of Lupe Fiasco. Finally, there are tracks where he “spazzes out” as if he was performing over a guitar based fusion beat off of the latest N.E.R.D. album. My personal favorite song by Mickey Factz is a lesser known one called Water featuring Lauryn Hill. I like the lyrics so much that I have been searching for them in a written form. He is just poetic as he compares love and his girlfriend to water and is able to keep it going throughout the whole song building beautiful imagery but without reusing comparisons or making it boring. If ever people doubt hip hop's connection to poetry or art, Water will be one of the first tracks I play for them to defend the point.

Mickey Factz currently has 5 free mixtapes out, as we wait for his debut album (I believe he is signed with ROC Nation right now). I will post links to all of them but I just want to make a little not about two of them. In the beginning of 2008, Mickey began a series titled “The Leak” in which he would release a new song every week, it caught the attention of all the blogs (around at the time) and built a huge buzz around him. He has created two mixtapes from those songs so far: The Leak Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. He has already given us plenty of great music but I know there is much more to come.

Flasback Vol. 1 - downlo@d

Heaven's Fallout - downlo@d

In Search of N.E.R.D. - downlo@d

The Leak Vol. 1: The Understanding

The Leak Vol. 2: The Inspiration - downlo@d

No comments:

Post a Comment